The Institute focuses on five core programme areas to achieve its aim of facilitating the actualization of the aspirations of the resolutions. The areas are:
- Women’s participation in peace negotiations and preventive diplomacy in Africa;
- Increasing women’s leadership role in security institutions and participation in peacekeeping activities;
- African women’s leadership in responding to gender-based violence in conflict;
- Policy and academic research on gender, peace and security; and
- Documentation of women’s role and contributions to peace processes in Africa.